Happy Fat Tuesday! Are you doing anything special? I don’t really do anything for Mardi Gras, but I do use Fat Tuesday as a day to eat, eat, and eat some more.
Today’s post was supposed to be these amazing Blueberry Biscuits I found over at One Lovely Life, but when I made them they didn’t look so great. Don’t get me wrong, Emily’s recipe tasted phenomenal. My biscuits just were not pretty enough to photograph and share.
I did make a few other things for Fat Tuesday. I have to say that my photographs for the Almost-Famous version of Chipotle’s corn salsa are the most proud I have been of any pictures I have taken, food-related or otherwise, in a long time. It also tastes like the real deal. I can’t take credit for the awesome flavors, since I adapted a recipe I found at Garnish With Lemon. Make sure you make lots of this, because once you start eating it is so so hard to stop.
What You Need:
- 3 ears of corn, uncooked
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and halfed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- generous handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- What You Do:
1. Place poblano halves on cookie sheet with the outside of the pepper facing up and broil for 10 minutes.
2. While the pepper broils, boil one small pot water. Slice kernels off of your ears of corn. When the water comes to a boil, add kernels for 3 minutes. Drain.
3. Take your poblano out of the oven and remove charred outer layer. Chop into small pieces.
4. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
Serve with chips or in tacos.
Side note: The chips in the photographs are called Beanitos. I found them at Target and got them because not only were they on sale, but they are made with beans instead of corn and are also gluten-free. No one in my house wanted to try them. Their loss because they ROCKED.