Yes, you read that right. This pasta dish may or may not taste like one of the best bagels ever created. I am so pleased with how this came out. You see, making macaroni and cheese has been on my “Culinary Bucket List” for a while. Usually when I heat up pasta, it’s instantly slathered in marinara. That’s the Italian way! Then I read an article in Food Network Magazine about how to make the seasoning that tops everything bagels. And I became obsessed.
I would like to sincerely apologize to the couple that watched me pace back and forth in the dairy section at Central Market for over a half over while trying to decide what dairy goodness would go into this recipe. Ultimately I ended up picking up some asiago and mozzarella. While I love the way it came out, if you really love a different cheese then use that instead. What makes this recipe special is how you incorporate the seasoning, not the cheese. Go crazy. Make it your own. Or just come over and eat the leftovers I have. I need help.
Recipe: Everything Bagel Macaroni & Cheese
Makes 8 servings
For the Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic dried
- 1 tablespoon miced onion dried
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the pasta:
- 16 oz. corkscrew pasta
- 1 & 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
What To Do:
1. Heat the oven to 350 F.
2. Mix together all ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl and set aside. Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain.
3. In another bowl, mix together all three of the cheeses.
4. While the pasta is cooking, mix together the eggs, milk, sour cream, black pepper, and half of the bagel seasoning.
5. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, layer the pasta, egg mixture, and the cheeses. Top with the remaining bagel seasoning.
6. Cook for 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.