Dining with Dani should really be called “The Lazy Chef”. It’s not that I am a lazy person, per say, it’s just that when I really hate having to measure things out. So when I found this recipe at Abbe’s Cooking Antics and realized it used the metric system because she lives in the UK, I just used the same ingredients and put however much I wanted into the dish so I didn’t have to convert it.
I’m that lazy.
I also don’t really know much about goulash except that it’s usually a stew made with beef and potatoes. I only know this because my friend got mad when she requested this be made for dinner and this is the recipe I came up with. But….this recipe is low cal and includes tons of veggies. Why would you want fatty red meat and starch when you could have a beautiful rainbow of veggies like this?
Recipe: Chicken and Peppers Goulash adapted from Abbe’s Cooking Antics
Makes 4 servings
224 calories per serving
What You Need:
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange pepper, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- What To Do:
1. Heat EVOO in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken chunks and cook until no longer pink.
2. Push chicken to one side of the skillet and add veggies. Cook until vegetables are soft and have begun to brown.
3. Add in tomatoes, chicken stock, paprika, and oregano.
4. Turn heat to low and let the stew simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Take skillet off of the heat and stir in sour cream.
I served my goulash over angel hair pasta. It was delicious! It was like having a hearty, vegetable-packed sauce.