This fall-inspired dish comes from How Sweet It Is, a new blog I found through Foodgawker. I can not wait to sit down and go through all of her other recipes. I was excited when I found this one because it is unlike anything else I have tried to make thus far. Essentially, the sweet potatoes are like twice baked, and then you also add a layer of apple and bacon. I made a few adjustments, mainly because I had different cheese and apples already in the kitchen and am too lazy to go buy things when what I had could be used. I also substituted turkey bacon for less calories and fat.
Recipe: Apple & Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Makes 4 sweet potatoes
What You Need:
4 round sweet potatoes
2 apples, peeled and diced (I used Fuji)
3 slices turkey bacon
3 tablespoons sage
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 oz. mozzarella cheese
What You Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Clean and wrap each potato in aluminum foil. Bake for 60 minutes.
3. While the potatoes bake, heat a skillet and cook the bacon. Set aside and cook apples, adding in the nutmeg and sage. Turn off heat, chop bacon, and mix together.
4. After they cool a bit, unwrap potatoes and slice them down the middle. Carefully scoop out the insides into a large bowl, being sure to not break the potato.
5. In the bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with remaining ingredients.
6. Fill the potato skins with the new mashed potato. Place apple and bacon mixture on top.