I love animated movies. I love animated movies so much that I often get teased because I go to the movie theatre the day they open…without any children in tow. So when a local promotions company sent me passes in the mail to screen Despicable Me 2 a few weeks before it release, I jumped at the chance. I couldn’t stop quoting it afterward, much to the dismay of other adults in my life. I was inspired to make minion themed cupcakes. Although they didn’t come out looking ANTHING like the minions, I still wanted to share them with you because I thought they looked adorable in their own right. Recipe: Minion Cupcakes
Makes 1 and 1/2 dozen
What You Need:
- 1 box cake mix
- 1 tub vanilla frosting
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- Bagged frosting with a small decorating tip
- 1 box mini to-go Oreo cookies
- 1/8 cup brown M&Ms
- 1 small bag black licorice
- cupcake liners (I used blue because the minions wear blue overalls)
What To Do:
- 1. Make cupcakes according to the package. Let cool completely.
2. While the cupcakes are baking, empty your frosting into a small bowl and mix it with the food coloring until you have a nice bright yellow.
3. Frost the cupcakes.
4. Carefully open all the oreos and discard — or eat — the sides without cream on them.
5. Gently place one or two of the frosted oreo sides onto the cupcake. Top each with one M&M.
6. Cut licorice into 1 inch long pieces. Arrange in threes for a minion-like look, or place above the oreos for cute little eyebrows.
7. Use the tube of frosting to create different mouths on the minions. Have fun with it.
Nothing special, and not what I originally intended them to look like, but I thought that they were still fun and cute! Happy weekend!