Anyone who knows me can tell you that I have a really big insomnia issue. If I am worried or upset about anything at all, I will not be be able to fall asleep. As long as I have something on my mind, I will be wide awake all night. Last night I decided that instead of laying in bed at 1 am staring at my wall, I was going to do something to use up the leftover ham in the fridge. I then remembered that I had ripped out a “50 Salad Dressings” insert from last month’s Food Network Magazine in an attempt to force myself to make them all and start eating healthy again. One half hour later and this pasta salad was born. I have a feeling that it’s going to be a big hit at cookouts this summer.
Recipe: Broccoli & Ham Pasta Salad
What You Need For the Pasta:
- 1 16-oz. box farfalle pasta
- 3/4 head broccoli
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
What You Need For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugarWhat To Do:
1. Mix the salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until completely incorporated. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta as directed, drain. Set aside.
3. Steam broccoli in a small pot.
4. Cut the stems of the cooked broccoli. Finely dice the heads of the florets. Throw away excess.
5. In a large bowl (or tupperware if you are taking this to go), mix together pasta, ham, and broccoli pieces. Toss with lemon dressing.
6. Top with parmesan cheese.