While struggling with my ongoing quest to be thinner, I found some health tips that suggest going meatless one day out of the week. A lot of people do “Meatless Mondays”. This time of year, many people also give up meat on Fridays during Lent. This past Monday I decided to give it a try and this is what I had for dinner.
I adapted the recipe from the Fat Burning Meal Plan book that comes with the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution workout program. It doesn’t seem like a lot when you think your dinner will just be a pepper stuffed with circular rice, but the quinoa is so filling and the meal leaves you feeling healthy.
Recipe: Quinoa & Mushroom Stuffed Peppers adapted from Jillian Michaels’ Body Revolution cookbook
What You Need:
- 4 bell peppers, yellow or red
- 3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 oz white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Boil 1 & 1/2 cups water in a small pot. Add quinoa and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. While quinoa is simmering, core the peppers and microwave them for 3 minutes.
4. Heat oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, and onion in a large skillet until the mushrooms begin to brown.
5. Stir in tomatoes and oregano.
6. Add in quinoa until well incorporated.
7. Add 1 inch water to a small baking dish. Place peppers inside of it. Divide the quinoa mixture into the peppers and bake for 30 minutes.